EuroFora
April 26, 2024, 09:10:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
French German Italian Dutch Spanish Portuguese Korean Chinese Simplified Japanese Greek Arabic Russian
News: European NEWS at : http://eurofora.net * European DEBATES at : http://eurofora.net/forum

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A great Windows 7 trick  (Read 4011 times)
janethurta

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:38:09 AM »

Almost every display sold these days is widescreen, whether you’re buying a notebook computer or a monitor. While it might be great for watching DVDs, when you’re trying to get work done it can sometimes feel like you’re a little squeezed for vertical space.

As a result, the first thing I do when I set up any new computer is to dock the taskbar to the left hand side of the screen. I can understand why we don’t set this by default – can you imagine the complaints from enterprise IT departments who have to retrain all their staff – but there’s no reason why you as a power user should have to suffer from default settings introduced when the average screen resolution was 800x600.

In the past, Windows did an indifferent job of supporting “side dockers” like myself. Sure, you could move the taskbar, but it felt like an afterthought – the gradients would be wrong, the Start menu had a few idiosyncrasies, and you’d feel like something of a second-class citizen. The Windows 7 taskbar feels almost as if it was designed with vertical mode as the default – the icons work well on the side of the screen, shortcuts like the Win+T trick mentioned previously automatically switch from left/right arrows to up/down arrows, and so on. The net effect is that you wind up with a much better proportioned working space.

Try it – in particular, if you’ve got a netbook computer that has a 1024x600 display, you’ll immediately appreciate the extra space for browsing the Internet. For the first day you’ll feel a little out of sync, but then I guarantee you’ll become an enthusiastic convert!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:28:46 PM by ACM » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: